Property: Linton Hall (Library-Museum Building), East Lansing
Built in 1881, this landmark building is easily identified by the prominent tower that faces MSU’s ‘Sacred Space.’ During the tenure of President Theophilus Abbot, landscape gardener Adam Oliver was retained to direct the informal siting of buildings and layout of roads, which provided the fundamental character of the growing agricultural college.
The building is an elaborate composition of brick and limestone, expressing the architectural excesses of the Victorian era in embellished Romanesque details. Basket weave and polychrome brick window arches highlight the main elevation, along with oriel dormers, perched on corbeled brackets of orange brick As the second oldest building on campus, it has remarkably retained its essential form and appearance. The stylistically disconnected east-facing wing built in 1947 perhaps anticipated today’s standards of preservation, which dictate that new work must be distinguished from the old. The relative simplicity of this Collegiate Gothic addition — itself attractive — reinforces the grandeur of the original building At the time of its construction, the building served as the office of the president, in addition to the “Library and Museum” broadly displayed in stone above the main entrance. In 1969, the building was named Linton Hall, after former registrar Robert S. Linton. It houses the College of Arts and Letters.
“Eye candy of the Week” is our weekly look at some of the nicer properties in Lansing. It rotates each with Eyesore of the Week. If you have a suggestion, please e-mail email@example.com or call Berl Schwartz at 999-5061.