Property: 602 Grove St., East Lansing
Betty Wescott

The “Grove” from which this home’s street takes its name refers to a wooded area within the College Grove subdivision that was originally to be preserved as park. The subdivision was platted in 1903, on land that was part of the Parmallee Farm, which spanned from Abbot Road to the current Bailey Street.

Constructed in the Dutch Colonial Revival style, the home is characterized by the barnlike double pitch of its Gambrel roof. Here, the form is created with an applied raking gable. That same detail is curiously repeated at the parapet on the flat roof over the garage.

Because local materials were strongly favored when the home was built in 1917, it is likely that its round stones were collected from nearby, possibly as foundations were dug in the old farm land. Gathered together at this house, the river rock exterior provides a finish that is both durable and uncommon. Stones cover the entire west sun porch, reach up into the chimney and extend to the garage foundation.

Equally unusual is the tree growing through the middle of the driveway. Deferring to this natural feature, the drive splits in two, its smaller scale is echoed in the paneled garage door pair.

“Eye candy of the Week” is our weekly look at some of the nicer properties in Lansing. It rotates each with Eyesore of the Week. If you have a suggestion, please e-mail or call Berl Schwartz at 999-5061.

Subscribe to Our Newsletter