To see the full map, click here.
The Lansing City Council has spent nearly a decade struggling with the medical marijuana dispensary issue. In 2010, it approved an ordinance that allowed for 48. But before it could be implanted the state courts ruled them all illegal.
Only a few defied the ruling — and nothing happened to them in Lansing, thanks to the progressive position of the Bernero administration. Gradually, old owners reopened and new ones came along until they flourished again. Some estimates ran as high as 80 dispensaries in 2016.
But then opposition, from the Lansing Regional Chamber of Commerce on one end of the economic spectrum and from the south end on the other, persuaded the administration to declare a moratorium. Meanwhile, City Council’s Public Safety Committee undertook the first hard look at dispensaries since the ill-fated 2010 ordinance.
The result, thus far, is an ordinance that treats medical marijuana as if it were a vice, like alcohol or pornography. The tool is zoning.
City Pulse took a hard look at what the current draft of the ordinance would mean to existing dispensaries — a harder look than apparently the city has taken. To our knowledge, the city has no map showing which dispensaries would stay and which would go under the ordinance. Instead, it seems to have a let-the-chips-fall-where-they-may attitude — and the chips fall decidedly in favor of those who want to zooming dispensaries out of existence, or close to it.
The map at left is based on the map the city provided City Pulse after we filed a Freedom of Information request. The blue area is where dispensaries would be prohibited.
We placed existing dispensaries on the map. We came up with 62 through various sources. Efforts to reach a few indicated they may be out of business, so let’s round off the number we could document are in business to 55.
All but eight dispensaries, represented by green dots, would have to close. Those with red dots are the losers. The white area is where dispensaries could open or move to — provided they are not within 500 feet of each other or 500 to 1,000 feet from churches, schools, daycare centers and parks.
Dispensaries in non-restricted areas
These are the dispensaries that City Pulse has determined would be able to stay in business in their current locations:
1. 420 Dank, 3301 Capitol City Blvd.
2. Capital City Med Station, 3301 Capitol City Blvd.
3. Cannaisseur - 3200 N. East St.
4. Capital City Seed Bank, 821 E. Kalamazoo St.
5. Cedar Leaf, 5031 S. Cedar St.
6. Green Crush - 5025 S. Pennsylvania Ave,
7. Pure Options, 6030 S Pennsylvania Ave.
8. Your Healthy Choice Clinic, 5300 S Cedar St.
Dispensaries in restricted areas
These dispensaries would have to close or move if the proposed ordinance becomes law:
1. 420 Solutions, 5528 S. Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd.
2. 5 Star Meds, 1039 N. Cedar St.
3. Mi Casa, 1039 N. Cedar St.
4. 517 Releaf, 910 Southland Ave.
5. Best Buds, 2617 E Michigan Ave. (technically in Lansing Township but taxed by
the City of Lansing)
6. Budz R Us Provision Center, 1804 W. Saginaw St
7. Buono Lounge & Caregiver, 1419 Turner St.
8. Cannacare Lansing, 3314 S. Cedar St.
9. Capital City Caregivers, – 2208 E Michigan Ave.
10. Capital Dank, 1202 S. Washington Ave.
11. Capital Wellness, 1825 E Michigan Ave.
12. TNT MMP, 1825 E. Michigan Ave.
13. Carter Medz, 2907 Turner Street ,
14. CBD Gardens, 6070 S Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd.
15. Cedar Streeet MMMP, 3205 S Cedar St.
16. Cornerstone Wellness, 3316 S. Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd.
17. Edgewood Wellness, 134 E. Edgewood Blvd.
18. First Class Releaf, 4215 N. Grand River Ave.
19. GotMeds, 3405 S Cedar St.
20. Grand Releaf Meds, 229 W. Grand River Ave.
21. Puff N Stuff, 229 W. Grand River Ave.
22. Green Cross Solutions, 6020 S. Cedar St.
23. Green Leaf Clinic, 900 W. Holmes Rd.,
24. Greenwave Dispensary, 500 E. Oakland Ave.
25. Helping Hands Clinic, 4100 S Cedar St.
27. Homegrown Provisioning Center, 628 East Michigan Ave.
28. Hybrid Life, -3001 S. Washington Ave.,
29. The Green Room, 3001. S. Washington Ave.
30. Hydroworld, 3308 S Cedar St.
31. Jay Deez’s Herbs, 4511 S Pennsylvania Ave.
32. KGB Distributors MMMP Services, 1122 W Holmes Road
33. KIND Dispensary, 2201 E Michigan Ave.
34. KOLA, 1106 N Larch St.
35. Kush Café, 503 Mall Court
36. Lansing Green Mile, 3023 N. East St.
37. Lansing Tribute, 617 E. Miller Road,
38. Lansterdam, 1300 N. Larch St.
39. Meds. Ink, 106 W Mt. Hope Ave.
40. MedsPath, 1214 S Washington Ave.
41. Nature’s Alternative, 2521 S. Washington Ave.
42. Old 27 Wellness, 2905 N. East St.
43. Pure Cannibis, 3711 W. Jolly Road
44. Quality Cannabis, 5735 S. Cedar St.
45. Shucky Farms, 6040 S. Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd.
46. Star Buds, 2012 N. Larch St.
47. Superior Genetics, 1522 Turner St.
48. The Doghouse, 5812 S. Cedar St.
49. The Emerald City, 2200 S. Cedar St.
50. The Herbal Connection Medical Marijuana Provision Center, 4314 S Cedar St.
51. The Lansing Market, 918 Southland Ave.
52. Tree House, 1410 E. Kalamazoo St.
53. Tru Releaf, 4929 S. Cedar St.
54. Veterans Social Center, 114 S. Hayford Ave.