UPDATE: Player suspended
|By Todd Heywood|
Fourth MSU football player under investigation
THURSDAY, April 13 — Another Michigan State University football player is under investigation for sexual assault and has been suspended from the university.
“We have learned of a CSC [criminal sexual conduct] investigation in Meridian Township where the suspect is an MSU football player,” Scott Hughes, a spokesman for the prosecutor’s office wrote in an email this morning. “That case is still under investigation and no charges have yet been requested by police, nor filed in court.”
Jason Cody, a spokesman for MSU, confirmed by text the student athlete had been suspended from the team.
“I can confirm a football student athlete has been suspended over allegations in a sexual assault investigation,” he said. He was unsure when the suspension occurred, other than it happened “recently.”
Meridian Township officials did not immediately return calls seeking comment.
The news comes as prosecutors are considering issuing criminal sexual conduct charges against three other players for an alleged sexual assault. News of that investigation came Feb. 28 in a press statement by MSU officials.
“We took immediate action by suspending those involved as soon as we were notified of the situation,” Mark Dantonio said in a press statement. “Our action is separate from the ongoing criminal and administrative investigations.”
In addition to the suspension of the three players, MSU also suspended a football team employee in connection with the sexual assault case. The university confirmed recruiting coordinator Curtis Blackwell was suspended, with pay, on Feb. 9. They declined to provide any details on the suspension.
Hughes said the warrant requests for the three players sent to the Ingham County Prosecutor’s Office remain under review and no warrants or arrests had been made in connection with the case.