Wednesday, June 1 — Lawyers will step away from the courtroom and step up the stage to show off singing, standup comedy and more on Thursday at the Ingham County Bar Association's "Lawyers Got Talent" show.
Fifteen local attorneys perform from 6 to 9 p.m. at Lexington Lansing Hotel, 925 South Creyts Road. It is co-hosted by the Law Office of Catherine Groll, PLLC and Ingham County Bar Association (ICBA). Fifteen lawyers are ready to take the stage and show their talents besides courtroom theatrics.
Cynthia Ward, assistant dean of students at Cooley Law School, will be performing “Funny Girl Standup Comedy.”
“It’s just something that I always found interesting," Ward said of comedy. "I never intended to pursue it seriously. It’s just something that’s always been in the back of my mind, and once I got married, there were funny things that happened, and I started writing it down. One day I thought, 'You know what? I’ll do some standup comedy.'”
Kel Scott, a partner at Mallory Cunningham Lapka & Scott PLLC, will do his "super-smooth" version of Bobby Darin's “Mack the Knife.”“I chose this song because I really like Bobby Darin, and I always had an interest in singing,” he said.
Tickets are priced at $40 ($13 discount for Cooley Law School students) and are available at the Law Office of Catherine Groll, 408 S. Washington Square in Lansing, or by calling Madelyne Lawry at (517) 627-3938.
* Dean Amy Timmer, "Ode to Cooley" to the tune of "Crazy" — vocals
* Professor Julie Clement, "Big, Bad, Handsome Man" by Imelda May — vocals
* Dean Cynthia Ward, Funny Girl Standup Comedy
* Michelle Zurcher and Friends, SNL Comedy Skits and Tunes
* Kel Scott, "Mack the Knife" by Bobby Darin — vocals
* Angela Brown and Ann Andrews, Awesome Pet Tricks
* Professor Ron Bretz, "Framed" by Richie Valens — bass and vocals
* Patrick Hanes, "A Pirate Looks at 40" by Jimmy Buffet — guitar
* Larry Glazer (Honorable, retired), "Crossroads" by Robert Johnson — guitar
* Kathryn Meninga, Zumba dancing
* Maureen Dyer, "Because the Night" by Patti Smith — vocals
* John Anthony LaPietra, "Misalliance" from "At the Drop of a Hat" — vocals
* Jim Hofer, "We're Not Gonna Take It" by Twisted Sister — vocals
* John W. Ujlaky, "Play With Fire" by Rolling Stones — guitar and vocals
* Greg Hodges, "Crazy Hot Keyboards and Smoking Vocals"