Michigan Craft Beer Listings
|By City Pulse Staff|
Michigan has over 140 brewpubs, microbreweries and meaderies — not
to mention the hundreds of bars catering specifically to craft beer
enthusiasts. Below is an abbreviated list of some of the establishments
closest to mid-Michigan, separated by distance from downtown Lansing,
complete with a key for food and drink guidance.
For a full list of all Michigan has to offer, go to michiganbeerguide.com.
Less than an hour:
1) BAD Brewing Co. Featuring Hop-ocalypse Brown and Mud in your Rye. 440 S Jefferson, Mason. 3 p.m.-10 p.m. Monday-Thursday; noon-midnight, Friday-Saturday; noon-10 p.m. Sunday. badbrewing.com. (517) 676-7664. OS, $.
2) EagleMonk Pub and Brewery. Featuring the signature brew Red Eye Rye. 4906 W. Mt. Hope Hwy., Lansing. 3 p.m.-10 p.m. Tuesday-Thursday; noon-11 p.m. Friday-Saturday; noon-8 p.m. Sunday. eaglemonkbrewing.com. (517) 708-7350. F, W, OS, $.
3) Harper’s Restaurant and Brewpub. With the Spartan Wheat, Grove St. Pale Ale and Belgian Whit. 131 Albert Ave., East Lansing. 11 a.m.-2 a.m. daily. harpersbrewpub.com (517) 333-4040. LM, F, OS, RES, $-$$.
About an hour:
4) 51 North Brewing Co. Featuring Lake Orion Light, Paint Creek Wheat and Dog Way IPA. 51 N. Broadway St., Lake Orion. Noon-11 p.m. Tuesday-Wednesday; noon-midnight Thursday-Saturday; noon-8 p.m. Sunday. 51northbrewing.com. (248) 690-7367. LM, F, W, OS, $$.
5) 57 Brewpub and Bistro. Known for Yellow Jacket Sting Honey Ale and Dirty Blonde beer.1310 W. Washington, Greenville. 11 a.m.-11 p.m. Monday-Thursday; 11 a.m.-11:45 p.m. Friday-Saturday; noon-8 p.m. Sunday. 57brewpub.com. (616) 712-6226. F, OS, $$.
6) Arcadia Ales. Featuring Loch Down Scotch Ale and Whitsun Ale. 103 W. Michigan Ave., Battle Creek. 11 a.m.-11 p.m. Monday-Friday; noon-midnight Saturday; 10 a.m.-2 p.m. Sunday. arcadiaales.com. (269)-963-9690. LM, F, W, WIFI, OS, RES, $$.
7) Arbor Brewing Co. Pub & Eatery. Brewers of Faricy-Fest Irish Stout and Uskratsch Mai Bock.114 E. Washington, Ann Arbor. 11:30 a.m.-1 a.m. Monday-Saturday; 11 a.m.-midnight Sunday. arborbrewing.com. (734) 213-1393. F, FB, WiFi, OS, RES, $$.
8) Bad Bear Brewery. Featuring Bad Bear Brown Pale ale and Honey Wheat. 110 North Concord Road, Albion. 11 a.m.-7 p.m. Monday-Wednesday; 11 a.m.-8 p.m. Thursday; 11 a.m.-11 p.m. Friday-Saturday; noon-6 p.m. Sunday. sleepingbearbrewing.com. (517) 531-7777. LM, F, W, OS, $-$$.
9) Bell’s Brewery. Featuring Oberon Ale and Two Hearted IPA. 335 E. Kalamazoo Ave., Kalamazoo. 11 a.m.-midnight Monday-Wednesday; 11 a.m.-2 a.m. Thursday-Saturday; noon-midnight Sunday. bellsbeer.com. (269) 382-2332. LM, F, W, WIFI, OS, $$.
10) Blue Tractor BBQ & Brewery. Brewing the Bearded Pig Pilsner and Bumper Crop IPA. 207 E. Washington St., Ann Arbor. 11 a.m.-2 a.m. Monday-Saturday; noon-midnight Sunday. bluetractor.net. (734) 222-4095. LM, F, OS, RES, $$-$$$.
11) Brewery Vivant. Belgian-themed brewpub, featuring Farm Hand and Triomphe. 925 Cherry St. SE, Grand Rapids. 3 p.m.-11 p.m. Monday-Thursday; 3 p.m.-midnight Friday; 11 a.m.-midnight Saturday; noon-9 p.m. Sunday. breweryvivant.com. (616) 719-1604. F, RES, $$-$$$.
12) Chelsea Alehouse. Brews the Waterloo Wheat and the Bog Trail Brown Ale. 420 N. Main Suite #100, Chelsea. 3 p.m.-11 p.m. Tuesday-Thursday; 11:30 a.m.-midnight Friday-Saturday; noon-8 p.m. Sunday. chelseaalehouse.com. (734) 433-5500. LM, F, OS, RES, $$.
13) CJ’s Brewing Co. Featuring the Golden Lager and American Wheat. 8115 Richardson St., Commerce Twp. 11 a.m.-11 p.m. Monday-Thursday; 11 a.m.-midnight Friday-Saturday; noon-10 p.m. Sunday. cjsbrewery.com. (248) 366-7979. F, RES, OS, $$-$$$.
14) Copper Canyon Brewery. Featuring the Killer Canyon Porter and Buffalo Jump Stout. 27522 Northwestern Hwy., Southfield. 11 a.m-11 p.m. daily. coppercanyonbrewery.com. (248) 223-1700. F, CB, OS, RES, $$.
15) Dark Horse Brewing Co. Famous for its Crooked Tree IPA. 511 S. Kalamazoo Ave., Marshall. 11 a.m.-11 p.m. Monday-Thursday; 11 a.m.-midnight Friday-Saturday; noon-10 p.m. Sunday. (269) 781-9940. darkhorsebrewery.com. LM, F, OS, $$.
16) Fenton Winery and Brewery. Featuring the Oasis Wheat and the Staggering Bull Imperial Nut Ale. 1545 N. Leroy St., Fenton. 3 p.m.-10p.m. Monday-Thursday; 3 p.m.-midnight Friday; 1 p.m.-midnight Saturday; 1 p.m.-8 p.m. Sunday. fentonwinery.com. (810) 373-4194. LM, F, W, $.
17) Founders Brewing Co. Famous for its Kentucky Breakfast Stout, Centennial IPA and the Dirty Bastard. 235 Grandville Ave., Grand Rapids. 11 a.m.-2 a.m. Monday-Saturday; noon-midnight Sunday. foundersbrewing.com. (616) 776-1195. F, OS, RES, $-$$.
18) Grand Rapids Brewing Co. 1 Ionia Ave., Grand Rapids. 11a.m.-midnight Sunday-Thursday; 11 a.m.-2 a.m. Friday-Saturday. grbrewingcompany.com. (616) 458-7000 F, FB, OS, RES $$.
19) Grizzly Peak Brewing Co. Serving the Silver Foam and Rosalynn Bliss Blonde. 120 W. Washington, Ann Arbor. 11 a.m.-11 p.m. Monday-Thursday; 11 a.m.-midnight Friday-Saturday; noon-11 p.m. Sunday. grizzlypeak.net. (734) 741-7325. F, OS, RES, $-$$.
20) Harmony Brewing Co. Featuring the Grand Daddy Rapids Cream Ale and Fiddle Stix IPA. 1551 Lake Drive SE, Grand Rapids. Noon-midnight daily. (616) 233-0063. F, OS, RES, $$.
21) HopCat. Brewing the Zugspitze and the Jerk. 25 Ionia Ave., Grand Rapids. 11:30 a.m.-2 a.m. Monday-Saturday; noon-2 a.m. Sunday. hopcatgr.com (616) 451-4667. F, OS $-$$.
About 90 minutes:
22) Atwater Block Brewery. German-themed brewery, featuring the Dirty Blonde and Vanilla Java Porter. 237 Joseph Campau, Detroit. 4 p.m.-11 p.m. Tuesday-Friday; 2 p.m.-11 p.m. Saturday. atwaterbeer.com. (313) 877-9205. $$.
23) BARTS Brewpub. Featuring Toughman Doppelbock. 804 East Midland St., Bay City. 4 p.m.-9 p.m. Tuesday-Wednesday; 4 p.m.-10 p.m. Thursday; 4 p.m.-close Friday; noon-close Saturday; noon-9 p.m. Sunday. bartsbaycity.com. (989) 891-0100. LM, F, W, CB, $$-$$$.
24) Bastone Brewery. Belgian-themed brewery featuring Monumental Blonde and Main Street Pilsner. 419 S. Main St., Royal Oak. 11 a.m.-11 p.m. Monday-Wednesday; 11 a.m.-2 a.m. Thursday-Saturday; noon-10 p.m. Sunday. bastone.net. (248) 544-6250. F, W, RES, OS, $$.
25) Big Rock Chophouse. Featuring Norm’s Raggedy-Ass Ale and Raymondo El Rojo. 245 S. Eton St., Birmingham. 11 a.m.-10 p.m. Monday-Thursday; 11 a.m.-2 a.m. Friday; noon-midnight Saturday; closed Sunday. bigrockchophouse.com. (248) 647-7774. LM, F, W, CB, WiFi, RES, OS, $$$.
26) Black Forest Brew Haus. German-themed brewery featuring Grateful Red and the Lost Sailor IPA. 281 Heinlein Strasse, Frankenmuth. 11:30 a.m.-9 p.m. Monday-Thursday; 11:30 a.m.-10 p.m. Friday-Saturday; 11:30 a.m.-8 p.m. Sunday. blackforestbrewhaus.net. (989) 652-6060. F, RES, $$.
27) Black Lotus Brewing Co. Winery and brewery, serving the Hellahopper Imperial Pale Lager and Red Tao Amber. 1 E. 14 Mile Road, Clawson. 11:30-1 a.m. Monday-Thursday; 11:30-2 a.m. Friday-Saturday; noon-10 p.m. Sunday. blacklotusbrewery.com. (248) 577-1878. LM, F, FB, RES, OS, $-$$.
28) Detroit Beer Co. German -influenced beer, featuring the Broadway Light and Steam Tunnel Stout. 529 Broadway, Detroit. detroitbeerco.com. (313) 962-1529. F, $$.
29) Falling Down Beer Co. Brewers of the Ninja Chicken Pale Ale. 2270 E. 10 Mile Road, Warren. 3 p.m.-11 p.m. Tuesday-Thursday; 3 p.m.-1 a.m. Friday-Saturday; fallingdownbeer.com. (586) 799-2739. F, $.
30) Fort Street Brewery. Featuring the Lincoln Lager and Oakenbock. 1660 Fort St., Lincoln Park. 11 a.m.-midnight Monday-Thursday; 11 a.m.-2 a.m. Friday; noon-2 a.m. Saturday; 1 p.m.-10 p.m. Sunday. fortstreetbeer.com. (313) 389-9620. F, FB, RES, $-$$.
31) Frankenmuth Brewery. Brewing the Frankenmuth Pilsener. 425 S. Main St., Frankenmuth. 11 a.m.-10 p.m. Sunday-Thursday; 11 a.m.-11 p.m. Friday-Saturday frankenmuthbrewery.com. (989) 262-8300. F, OS, RES, $$.
32) Kuhnhenn Brewing Co. Featuring Kuhnhenn Paddle. 5919 Chicago Road, Warren. 11 a.m.-midnight Monday-Thursday; 11 a.m.-2 a.m. Friday-Saturday. (586) 979-8361 kbrewery.com. W, $$.
33) Lily’s Seafood Restaurant and Brewery. With Lily’s Light Pilsner and Whitefish Bay Wheat. 410 S Washington Ave., Royal Oak. 11 a.m.-midnight Monday-Thursday; 11 a.m.-2 a.m. Friday; 9 a.m.-2 a.m. Saturday; 9 a.m.-midnight Sunday. (248) 591-5459. lilysseafood.com. F, OS, RES, $$-$$$.
34) Saugatuck Brewing Co. Featuring Pathfinder Pale Ale, Bonfire Brown and Boathouse Stout. 2948 Blue Star Hwy., Douglas. 11:30 a.m.-10 p.m. Sunday-Thursday; 11:30 a.m.-11 p.m. Friday; 11:30 a.m.-11 p.m. Saturday. saugatuckbrewing.com. (269) 857-7222. LM, F, W, WiFi, OS, $-$$
A little bit farther:
35) Big Buck Brewery. Brewery, distillery and winery. 550 S. Wisconsin Ave., Gaylord. bigbuck.com. (989) 732-5781.
36) Blue Cow Café. Brewpub and winery with an extensive national and international collection. 119 N. Michigan Ave., Big Rapids. bluecowcafe.com. (231) 796-0100.
37) Brewery Ferment. Featuring the Old Town Brown beer and Mitten Wit. 511 S. Union St., Traverse City. breweryferment.com (231) 735-8113.
38) Cranker’s Brewery. Bulldog Red and Professor IPA 213 S. State St., Big Rapids. crankersbrewery.com. (231) 796-1919.
39) Dewey Cannon Winery and Brewery. With Captain Easy, an Irish-American Pale Ale. 9 N. Elm St., Three Oaks. (269) 820-4011.
40) Great Baraboo Brewery. With the Kings Peak Caraboo Wheat and Shark Tooth Bay Golden Ale. 35905 Utica Road, Clinton Township. greatbaraboo.com. (586) 792-7397.
41) Hereford & Hops Restaurant & Brew Pub. Whitetail Ale, Cleary Red and Redemption IPA 624 Ludington St., Escanaba. (906) 789-1945.
42) Jamesport Brewing Co. With Dortmunder Lager and Altbier. 410 S. James St., Ludington. (231) 845-2522.
43) Jasper Ridge Brewery and Restaurant. Ropes Golden Wheat and Jasper’s Brown Ale. 1075 Country Lane, Ishpeming. (866) 875-4312.
44) Keweenaw Brewing Co. Featuring the November Gale Pale Ale and Lift Bridge Brown Ale. 408 Shelden Ave., Houghton. 3 p.m.-10 p.m. Monday-Wednesday; 11 a.m.-11 p.m. Thursday-Saturday; noon-8 p.m. Sunday. keweenawbrewing.com. (906) 482-5596.
45) Lake Superior Brewing Co. at the Dunes Saloon. Featuring Sandstone Pale Ale and Cabin Fever. 14283 Lake Ave., Grand Marais. Noon-10 p.m. daily. grandmaraismichigan.com/lsbc. (906) 494-2337.
46) Library Restaurant and Brew Pub. Featuring the Whiteout Wheat and Keweenaw Golden Ale. 62 Isle Royale St., Houghton. 11:30 a.m.-close Monday-Saturday; noon-close Sunday. librarybrewpub.com. (906) 487-5882.
47) Red Jacket Brewing Company. Known for signature old-fashioned Oatmeal Coffee Stout. 300 Sixth St., Calumet. 11:30 a.m.-9 p.m. Monday-Tuesday; closed Wednesday. 11:30 a.m.-9 p.m. Thursday-Saturday; noon-9 p.m. Sunday. michiganhousecafe.com. (906) 337-1910.
48) Short’s Brewing Co. Featuring the Soft Parade, Bellaire Brown and Huma Lupa Licious. 121 N. Bridge St., Bellaire. 11 a.m.-midnight Sunday-Thursday; 11 a.m.-midnight Friday-Saturday. shortsbrewing.com. (231) 498-2300.
49) Soo Brewing Company. Summer brew Crystal Blue Persuasion and brewery staple Soo Brew. 223 W. Portage, Sault Sainte Marie. Noon-10 p.m. Monday-Thursday; noon-11 p.m. Friday-Saturday; closed Sunday. soobrew.com. (906) 632-4400.
50) Tahquamenon Falls Brewery. Harvest Wheat and Black Bear Stout. M-123 Upper Falls Dr., Paradise. 10 a.m.-8:30 p.m. Sunday-Friday; 10 a.m.-9 p.m. Saturday. tahquamenonfallsbrewery.com. (906) 492-3300.
51) Vierling Restaurant & Marquette Harbor Brewery. Featuring newest brew Blood-Orange Hefeweizen. 119 S. Front St., Marquette. 11 a.m.-10 p.m. Monday-Saturday; closed Sunday. thevierling.com. (906) 228-3533.