Potter House 1348 Cambridge Drive Lansing
This vast home was constructed in 1926 for Ray and Sarah Potter, its grandeur reflecting the socialite owners and the impact realized by their family in the development of the greater Lansing area. Potter Park Zoo and the City of Potterville owe their creation, respectively, to Potter’s father and grandfather.
Now under the care of James McClurken and Sergei Kvitko, the home has enjoyed dedicated attention to maintenance and decor since the couple’s purchase in 2008, The home exhibits the many defining characteristics of the Tudor Revival style, including decorative half timbering and tall groups of multi-paned windows. Steeply pitched slate roofs are arranged in cross gables and balanced asymmetries. Massive, corbelled brick chimneys anchor either end of the main volume of the home.
Designed by East Lansing architect Harold Childs, the home features a broad, wood-paneled hall running the length of the building, which creates a main spine with rooms organized on either side. Thistles, which are a repeating theme on interior fixtures, and a lion rampant over the fireplace evoke the original owners’ Scottish heritage. Mc- Clurken suggests this clever detail recalls the home’s style and the often-bellicose relationship between England’s historic Tudor monarchs and their northern neighbors.
“Eye candy of the Week” is our look at some of the nicer properties in Lansing. It rotates each with Eyesore of the Week. If you have a suggestion, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or call Berl Schwartz at 999-5061.