On June 27, 2022, this unregistered rental property caught fire and took the life of 23-month-old Damian Shessia. An investigation revealed there were no smoke detectors in the property — as required by the city’s housing code.
Nearly eight months later, ownership of the one-story, 649-square-foot house, which the city estimates to be about 50 years old, has changed hands from Evolve Real Estate, a limited liability corporation based in DeWitt, to Tracy Kacskes of Lansing, property records say. Property records show that Evolve had paid off a land contract in December to Chamberlain Capital, another LLC, in the amount of $45,000, then sold it in January to Kacskes for $10,000.
But the home remained boarded up, and the front windows were emblazoned with bright orange stickers notifying anyone nearby that the building is unsafe to enter or inhabit.
Since the fire, the city has ordered replacement boards on the property twice. Lansing Fire officials and Lansing Police officials did not respond to inquiries about whether the investigation into the fire found any criminal liability by either Evolve Real Estate or Chamberlain Capital. Records show that Evolve Real Estate entered into the land contract with Chamberlain Capital in 2021.
“Eyesore of the Week” is our weekly look at some of the seedier properties in Lansing. It rotates with Eye Candy of the Week and Eye for Design. Have a suggestion? Email email@example.com or call in a nomination to (517) 999-6704.
Support City Pulse - Donate Today!
No comments on this item Please log in to comment by clicking here